Castle of Santiago da Barra (Castelo de São Tiago da Barra), Viana do Castelo
The Castle of Santiago da Barra (Castelo de São Tiago da Barra) in Viana do Castelo is located close to the mouth of the River Lima on its north bank.
History
The original 15th century Manueline fort was expanded by Philip II of Spain (Philip I of Portugal) in 1592 to guard the approaches to the town from pirates. This would have been a time when the town was prospering during the Age of Discoveries, when riches from the Indies and Americas came to the northern port of Viana do Castelo.

The thick, stone walls of the fortress are in the shape of a classic pentagon and are further protected by corner turrets and a ditch or moat.
The rectangular castle grounds within the walls contain a chapel (Chapel of Santa Catarina) dedicated to the safety of seafarers.
It is believed the castle may be the work of the great Italian military architect and engineer Filippo Terzi (1520-1597).
In 1640 with the return of Portugal's sovereignty from Spain the local Spanish garrison was surrounded and forced to surrender by the townsfolk.

The castle was strengthened in 1700 and again in 1799 during a time when the town prospered with the export of wines from the Douro region to France, Italy, England and even as far away as Sweden and Russia.
Some of the buildings are occupied nowadays by the offices of Turismo do Porto e Norte de Portugal (The Tourist Offices of Porto and Northern Portugal) with offices also in Braga, Bragança, Chaves, Guimarães, Lamego and Vila Real. A small conference centre (Centro de Congressos do Castelo de Santiago da Barra) is housed here.
Outside the walls is the area of Campo de Castelo which hosts the town's weekly Friday market. The annual Neopop Festival, Portugal's most respected electronic music festival is held here in August drawing ravers from all over Europe.
Access - Getting There
Castelo de São Tiago da Barra
Campo de Castelo
Viana do Castelo 4900-360
Tel: 258 820 270
Admission: Free.
Hours: Open 24 hours.
From the end of the north-south main street of Avenida dos Combatentes da Grande Guerra from Viana do Castelo Station walk west along the riverfront, past the Gil Eannes Hospital Ship.