Church of Our Lady of Agony (Santuário da Senhora da Agonía), Viana do Castelo
The Church of Our Lady of Agony (Santuário da Senhora da Agonía) is a beautiful church in Viana do Castelo.

History
The Church of Our Lady of Agony dates from the 18th century and was constructed over a previous 17th century church.
This Baroque style chapel shows influences of Luso-Brazilian styles especially in the gilded altarpiece by André Soares. Soares' work can also be seen in the Igreja do Convento de São Domingos where he designed the plan for the magnificent altar executed by José Alvares de Araújo.
The wooden central staircase was added in the 19th century. The nave is in the shape of an octagon.
The church also features a number of oil paintings by the Italian painter Pascoal Parente, a pulpit with the scene of Calvary and an eighteenth-century organ.


Romaria de Nossa Senhora d'Agonía
The annual Romaria de Nossa Senhora d'Agonía festival held in August on the first weekend after the 15th of the month originates from this church.
The festival, which is connected with giving thanks for the safety of seafarers, draws large crowds from both within Portugal and from abroad.
It features processions of participants wearing traditional local dress, as well as parades of the comical gigantones and cabeçudos ("giants" and "big-heads" - large figures made of papier-mâché and wood and controlled by a person inside) .


The bell tower dates from 1868. It was built separately from the rest of the church to allow for the pilgrimage dedicated to Senhora da Agonía to move around the church.


Access - Getting There
Church of Our Lady of Agony
Rua de Monserrate
Campo da Agonia
4900-354 Viana do Castelo
Tel: 258 822 508
From Viana do Castelo Station walk west along Avenida Conde da Carreira.
