Igreja Nova, Aljezur
The Igreja Nova (New Church or Church of Our Lady of the Dawn; Igreja Nossa Senhora da Alva) is the center of the newer Igreja Nova district (named after the church) in the eastern part of the small town of Aljezur which is close to the Atlantic Coast in the Algarve.
The western part of Aljezur is the older half of the town and has 10th century Moorish roots as seen in its narrow, twisting streets and the impressive ruins of Aljezur Castle on the top of the hill.
The Ribeira de Aljezur is the small stream that divides the old and new quarters of the town.


History
The Igreja Nova district was built after the 1755 earthquake devastated much of the original town of Aljezur including the old parish church. The new church and surrounding town was planned and built on the instructions of Bishop Francisco Gomes de Avelar.
The new settlement met considerable local resistance and was only completed at the end of the 19th century.
Interior
The Igreja Nova was completed in the late 1700's and has three naves and several side chapels, with an altarpiece behind the main altar done in neo-classical gilded wood (1809). The altarpiece depicts an image of the patron saint of Aljezur, Our Lady of the Dawn. The image is similar to that of the Igreja de São Luis in Faro and is believed to be the work of José da Costa. The baptismal font is done in Manueline style and was brought to the new church from the previous parish church along with some Mannerist paintings and a 16th century statue of São Sebastião.
The square surrounding the church is lined with pleasant pavement cafes and guest houses serving the foreign backpackers and surfers who flock to the beaches near Aljezur. Free wifi is available from the cafes.

Access & Hours
Igreja Nova, Aljezur
Rua da Palmeira 18, 8670 Aljezur
Tel: 282 998 034
Nearby
The Igreja Nossa Senhora da Alva is within easy walking distance of the Mercado Municipal (for EVA buses to Lisbon and Lagos) and a number of nearby restaurants, hotels, guest houses and a supermarket.